Search This Blog

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Star Apps: Michael Franti

Singer and musician Michael Franti’s activism is a mainstay. What’s changed over his almost 30-year career is his perspective on how best to effect change. “As I’ve grown, I want to be part of the solution, and I want to be not just pointing the finger at things that are wrong but saying how we can be part of fixing it,” he says. I chatted with Franti about his tour, how he creates change at home, how we can be part of the solution, and the app that’s become a positive force in his life.



Michael Franti wants to empower people to create change in their own lives.


On this tour, there are no veils. It’s you onstage, playing acoustically and telling stories. That sounds like a very vulnerable place to be. I feel very vulnerable. I am used to having this big band behind me that kicks a–, and I know everybody’s gonna dance and have a fun time. But when I go up there and it’s just me and a microphone and a guitar, it’s a little more nerve-racking. On this tour, I decided that I wanted to go through all the songs through various periods of my musical life and play songs that I haven’t played in a long time and then go back to that place in my mind and tell stories about where I was in my life in those times. There are a lot of really funny stories, some growing pains stories, and some remembering bad times when I was doing stup… [Read more]






No comments:

Post a Comment